BY CATHERINE HINES – STAFF WRITER

This year, Centre College has welcomed back several alums as fellows, where they will continue their professional development as working members of several of the College’s offices. Throughout the upcoming weeks, The Cento will chat with each of the new fellows about their new positions and how it feels to be back on campus.

Chelsea Shields, from Louisville, KY, graduated in 2015 with a degree in Psychology. While at Centre, she served as the Panhellenic Council President, was a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, assisted her advisor with research in the Psychology department, and studied abroad in Israel. Her position as Coordinator of Student Organizations and Campus Events allows her to co-advise SGA, manage the Campus Center reservation system, assist in Campus Activities programming, and supervise the Campus Center student staff.

When talking about her new job, she said that there has been a lot to learn and she has had a shift in her perspective of Centre because now she is on the administrative side of things.

“I have learned a lot and really enjoy my coworkers as well as working with students,” Shields said.

Shields played a large role in planning this year’s Homecoming weekend, as she organized the Homecoming Court ceremony and orchestrated the voting process of both the nominations and the actual king and queen votes.

Photographer: Judi Zhang
Photographer: Judi Zhang

She also organized the flowers, crowns, and mint julep cups as well as wrote the script of the ceremony.

“It was a fun event to plan!” Shields said.

This position provides Shields with an opportunity to connect with Centre and its students. In addition, she is constantly presented with a variety of new and exciting experiences, which will be helpful in whatever she chooses to do after her time here.

“I chose this job because I thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce myself to the post-grad world and help me explore and evaluate my options for a career path,” Shields said. “I also love the fact that it was connected to Centre and extended my affiliation with the institution. It is a neat experience working for your alma mater.”

Kiana Fields, from Georgetown, Kentucky, also graduated in 2015. She acquired a Bachelor’s degree in History. While at Centre, Kiana was the President of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, a Rho Gamma, SGA representative, Orientation Leader, Resident Assistant and interned at the National Archives in Philadelphia. Her position now is the Coordinator for Greek Life and Shuttle Service. She co-advises the executive boards of the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, Order of Omega and Gamma Sigma Alpha, works for the Rho Gamma team for sorority recruitment, oversees the Greek House Managers, assists in coordinating educational programming for the Greek community, works closely with the Director of Greek Life and manages the Shuttle Service.