BY DANA REYNOLDS – STAFF WRITER

As college students, by now we know that it is important to exercise daily, to maintain a healthy diet, and to get enough sleep. But sometimes, temptations get the better of us. In an atmosphere of numerous tests, quizzes, papers, etc. it is easy to overlook the importance of staying healthy. You may even ask yourself when you are waking up early to go to the gym or shunning junk food: why am I doing this?

So, here is a quick list for you to remind yourself why you NEED and WANT to stay healthy. Print it out and put it somewhere: on your fridge, in your gym bag or textbook—anywhere to remind yourself of why you are maintaining your healthy lifestyle to begin with.

1. You will live LONGER.

According to a study by Health Magazine, activities such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol, not exercising, and not eating enough fruits and vegetables are four bad lifestyle behaviors that can age you by as much as twelve years.

1. You will THRIVE.

You will be able to perform at your best. You will be on the top of your game—ready to handle anything college throws at you. By being healthy, you will reduce the levels of stress that can often times be detrimental to productivity.

1. You will have more ENERGY.

You may think that it sounds counterproductive to go exercise when you are tired, but in reality it can keep you going—even better than caffeine. Regardless of the physical activity—whether it be swimming, running, etc.—exercising can give you the jump-start that you need to start your day.

1. You will avoid DISEASES/ILLNESSES.

If you maintain a healthy lifestyle, you are far less prone to illnesses including hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, and high cholesterol. Not to mention, you will spend far less on medical bills.

1. You will feel EMPOWERED and CONFIDENT.

If you practice healthy habits regularly, you will feel ready to take on everything the world has to throw at you. You will look better, feel better, and do better. This will give you the confidence you need to achieve those high test scores, talk to new people, and try new things.

1. You will stay MENTALLY SHARP.

It is important to maintain good mental health. You need to be able to make deadlines, think critically, and work productively. This is not possible without good mental health. By exercising, eating healthy, and getting enough sleep, you are giving your brain the fuel that it needs.

Senior and Centre swimmer, Claire Coleman strongly supports the list above and follows a healthy routine.

“Maintaining a healthy lifestyle in and out of the pool not only makes me feel better physically, but also emotionally,” Coleman said. “When I get out of a tough practice, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I know that I pushed myself to do something that I did not think I could do. It gives me a good attitude that I carry with me for the rest of the day.”

As the semester unfolds and classes become more demanding, finding time to maintain a healthy lifestyle becomes more difficult. The stress of school and maintaining healthy relationships is difficult enough, but taking care of yourself is most important. Believe it or not, setting aside that hour or so to exercise is helping you become much more productive. So as school becomes more stressful and all you really want to do is sleep, or eat donuts, or curl up in a ball: stop, think, and remind yourself that your healthy lifestyle is going to get you that A, it is going to make you more confident, and better yet it is going to allow you to live a long, successful life.