By DEREK BEAVEN & JOHN WYATT – STAFF WRITER & NEWS EDITOR

With summer right around the corner, it’s time for BBQ’s, pool parties, and general mayhem/working part-time jobs. Regardless of where you’ll be or what you’ll be doing, In the Rotation’s got you covered in terms of a summer playlist.

Derek Beaven: “Every Morning” by Sugar Ray: A classic hit from the 90’s that brings back nostalgic memories for everyone involved. It doesn’t hurt that everyone knows the lyrics and will gladly sing along wherever you are.

“King of Carrot Flowers” by Neutral Milk Hotel: This song captures the perils and confusions of growing up, all tossed in with chanting vocals and tangled instrumentation.

“A Summer Song” by Chad and Jeremy: I imagine that this is what it would be like to live in a Wes Anderson film. Honestly, any track from Rushmore will do here.

“This Sh*t” by SOL: Seattle based rapper SOL strings together a sample with a slow beat to produce the perfect song for a good time.

“Here Comes Your Man” by Pixies: An insanely catchy classic, popularized by drunken Joseph Gordon-Levitt karaoke from the pinnacle of summer romantic comedies, 500 Days of Summer.

“Party and Bullsh*t” by Gratefully D.E.A.D: An odd remix of the Grateful Dead’s “Jack Straw” with Notorious B.I.G’s rap classic that gives the song an entirely different, more upbeat feel.

“I Try” by Macy Gray: A beautifully sung and written anthem for the socially awkward, Macy Gray is a perfect addition to any summer playlist in need of some soul.

“Lola” by the Kinks: A clever and insightful song about gender confusion that’s easy to sing along with and is quite catchy. Perfect for driving around town with the windows down.

“Knots” by Lisa Hannigan: This one gets the nod for the ridiculously amazing ukulele solos.

“Alright” by Darius Rucker: A lot of people weren’t pleased with his cover of “Wagon Wheel,” but “Alright” is Rucker at his best; laid back and carefree.

John Wyatt: “A.D.H.D.” by Kendrick Lamar: A great song to chill to. I could have put just about any Kendrick song on here, but this is a great one to play when you’re just chilling with friends or cruising around town at night.

“Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart” by Stone Temple Pilots: An early summer jam of mine. The melody and instrumentals create a great, upbeat jam that always gets some praise at pool parties or barbecues.

“Nothin’ to Do” by Common: Common always makes some great songs to chill to. There were several nights where friends and I were driving around at night, grooving to Common’s song about a boring summer night out with his crew.

“Someday” by Sugar Ray: Another case where I could have easily put several other songs by this artist; Sugar Ray put out some great songs that just fit summer. Whether at a pool party or driving around or just hanging out in your room, this song is a great song to vibe out to.

“Constellations” by Jack Johnson: Another chill song. Johnson is a favorite summertime artist for just about everyone I know. This was the first song I ever heard by him. Johnson has a way of creating songs that make you think back to those early summers as a young teenager.

“Do It Again” by Steely Dan: My favorite song by Steely Dan. I have fond memories hanging out on friends’ back porches with this song playing in the background.

“What They Do” by The Roots: Probably one of the smoothest songs I have heard. This is one of my favorites to drive around to on a summer day with the windows down. Black Thought’s critique of the hip-hop industry is not only a thoughtful reflection, but a great jam musically as well.

“It Was a Good Day” by Ice Cube: A hip-hop classic. Ice Cube lays out a perfect summer day in South Central L.A. The day always seems to get a little better when this song pops up in the shuffle.

“Mezmorized” by Wiz Khalifa: While Wiz’s buzz has declined with a few weak releases and features lately, his early mixtapes are still some of my favorite projects to jam to, especially in the summer. I fondly remember driving to Lexington with one of my friends as he played Wiz for me for the first time.

“When I Come Around” by Green Day: Regardless of what people think, Green Day’s early works are some of my favorites. Nostalgia always seems to hit when this song comes on.